There are ongoing maintenance tasks that should consistently be done throughout the year to keep your home functioning efficiently and safely-and help protect its value. We’re happy to offer another checklist this week of ongoing maintenance steps that will help you safeguard your home and family. Simply print a copy, check the tasks as you perform them, and note the date for future reference.
- Make sure air vents indoors and outside (intake, exhaust, and forced air) are not blocked by snow or debris.
- Check and clean range hood filters on a monthly basis
- Test the ground fault circuit interrupter(s) monthly by pushing the test button. This should then cause the reset button to pop up.
- Make sure electrical outlets are equipped with safety plugs.
- Regularly check the house for safety hazards such as a loose handrail, lifting or buckling carpet, etc.
- Inspect fire extinguishers to ensure they are fully charged.
- Check automatic garage door opener’s safety reverse.
- Test smoke detectors.
- Drain off sediment from base of hot water tank.
- Grind ice cubes to clean garbage disposal. Flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Inspect bathtubs and sinks for caulking and leaks-repair as needed.
- Check operation of water pump and sump pump.
- Defrost manual refrigerator-or if automatically defrosted, wash off shelves and clean.
- Review emergency procedures and practice fire drills.
- Clean or replace air filters when the system is in use for heating or cooling.
- Vacuum heat registers, vents, and radiators.
- Clean faucet aerators and shower heads.
From handyman services to home remodeling, we take the worry out of home ownership. Stephens Builder’s Home Maintenance Program will help you protect your most significant investment-your home. Call 757-209-2219 today to schedule an appointment. Your home will never look more beautiful or operate better than when maintained by Stephens Builder of Williamsburg, VA.