Regular maintenance keeps your home functioning efficiently and safely—and helps protect its value. We’re happy to offer this checklist of ongoing and seasonal maintenance steps to help you safeguard your home and family. Simply print a copy, check the tasks you perform, and note the date for future reference.
Home Maintenance Checklist—Spring Tasks To Be Performed
- After consulting your hot water tank owner’s manual, carefully test the temperature and pressure relief valve to ensure it is not stuck.
- Check and clean or replace furnace air filters each month during the heating season.
- Have fireplace or woodstove and chimney cleaned and serviced as needed.
- Shut down and clean furnace humidifier, and close the furnace humidifier damper on units with central air conditioning.
- Check air conditioning system and have serviced every two or three years.
- Clean or replace air conditioning filter (if applicable).
- Check dehumidifier and clean if necessary.
- Turn OFF gas furnace and fireplace pilot lights where possible.
- Have well water tested for quality—it is recommended that you test for bacteria every six months.
- Check smoke, carbon monoxide, and security alarms—and replace batteries.
- Clean windows, screens, and hardware—and replace storm windows with screens. Check screens first and repair or replace if needed.
- Open valve to outside hose connection after all danger of frost has passed.
- Examine the foundation walls for cracks, leaks, or signs of moisture—and repair as required. Also, repair and paint fences as necessary.
- Ensure sump pump is operating properly before the spring thaw sets in.
- Re-level any exterior steps or decks which moved due to frost or settling.
- Check eaves, troughs, and downspouts for loose joints and secure attachment to your home, clear any obstructions, and ensure water flows away from your foundation.
- Clear all drainage ditches and culverts of debris.
- Undertake spring landscape maintenance and, if necessary, fertilize young trees.
- Inspect wood decks, steps, and rails for loose or damaged boards and raised nails.
- Inspect roof materials and roof flashings.
- Inspect weather-stripping around doors, windows, and garage doors.
Home Evolutions, your Independent Living Strategist, with more than 25 years experience in home remodeling, can help create a Home Maintenance Program to meet your specific needs. Call 412.766.3625 today to schedule an appointment. Your home will never look more beautiful or operate better than when maintained by Home Evolutions.
Are you following us on Twitter? How about Facebook?-— Home Evolutions will give you real-time updates when our latest blogs are posted, as well as timely information on Aging-in-Place news from around the country.
Read more: Spring Home Maintenance Checklist